She is the first female gymnast from Nova Scotia to go to the Olympics. She’s been described as a “superstar in the world of gymnastics,” and “Canada’s top gymnast.”
Of course I am talking about Ellie Black.
After the 2016 Olympics in Rio she ranked 5th in the world and became the most decorated Canadian female gymnast after the 2019 Pan Am Games in Lima, Peru.
Then she seriously injured her ankle.
I sat down with her (virtually) and had an inspiring conversation. She is a strong and powerful athlete physically-that is obvious but what struck me most is how mentally tough and confident she is.
Like all of us she is adapting to the new COVID-19 reality but it hasn’t stopped her training, it’s altered it. She is also still recovering from ankle surgery. She was set to compete at the 2020 summer Olympic Games in Tokyo but that’s been postponed. None of this has shaken her resolve and her ability to adapt, stay focused and recognize the positives will inspire you.
Thank you Ellie. Here’s to Olympic gold in 2021!
- She says that passion for what you do is the number one attribute you need to possess in order to achieve your dreams.
- Tune in to find out what accomplishment Ellie is most proud of, it’s probably not what you think.
- “The end result you can’t control. Focus on the steps to get you to the end result.”
- Yup, even elite athletes will indulge in junk food occasionally. Good to know they’re human too!
- Find out how COVID-19 has impacted athletes and their training and how they’re getting around it.
Producers: Tanya Chedrawy & Michael Boyd
Host: Tanya Chedrawy tanyamedia.com
Guest: Ellie Black – Canadian Olympic Gymnast
Recorded through the facilities of Podcast Atlantic
Sound Recording and Editing by Michael Boyd of Podcast Atlantic
Follow us on Twitter: @TanyaChedrawy
Connect with us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tanyachedrawy/
Music Far Away by Pre Kiilstofte
Logo Created by Tanya Chedrawy
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org